Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 6, 2012

Word of the Year for 2012

I've red on many other blogs where people choose a "word of the year" as their focus, rather than making individual resolutions. While I definitely have things that I'd like to accomplish this year (learning to use my sewing machine and learning to can fruits and veggies are two big ones), I really like the idea of one word guiding my goals this year.

The word I've chosen for 2012 is:
BALANCE.
As any parent can tell you, there's nothing quite like having a child to through you off balance. The comfortable routine we had with Abby was flipped on its head with Zach's arrival, and it is taking some time to settle into a new normal around here.

There are a lot of things that I feel need some balancing around here. I don't feel that I'm spending enough time strengthening my relationship with God. Some days, I feel like He is such a part of my day and is very present to me amidst my everyday activities, and other days, I feel like the only dialogue I have with Him is when I'm saying something along the lines of "Dear Lord, please let me make it through this day..." I know that I'm not taking good care of myself physically; between not sleeping enough, not eating well, and not exercising nearly as much as I should, I know that my body is not being well cared for. I also know that if I don't take care of myself, I will not be able to take care of the other people who depend on me. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle everything around the house that needs to be done. Oftentimes, Carey will come home from work to a sink filled with dirty dishes, clean laundry waiting to be folded and put away, and toys covering every available surface in the living room. I feel awful that he works hard all day and comes home to still more work to do, but I'm still trying to figure out how to complete housework during the day (especially when both kids decide to rest/nap at different time). I don't want to take time away from my children, but I also know that there are some things that need to get done (say, putting dinner in the oven), and it's not a horrible thing for the kids to learn how to occupy themselves for a bit while mommy takes care of certain tasks around the house. I'm also working to manage the time I spend on the computer and the time that I put into this blog. I LOVE to blog, and I find it relaxing and therapeutic to write about what's going on with my family and with me. But I also know that blogging can't be a priority when there are other, more important, tasks that required my attention.

So, this year will be about balance. Balancing care of myself with the care of my children and my husband. Balancing my time on the computer with my face-to-face time. Finding the right balance around my home to allow me to spend the most time possible engaged with my children as a stay-at-home mother while also taking care of my home as a homemaker. And most of all, using this new-found balance to ensure that the Lord is getting my time and attention so that I can grow with Him and He can grow in me.

I look forward to keeping you informed of my victories and my challenges as I strive for balance in 2012. I know that my life will never be perfect, but I do know that it can be better, and I'm anxious to see how I will grow as my quest for balance progresses.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin