As they say in football, right now the Ngs are in a "holding pattern." We're ready (well, as ready as we'll ever be...) and eagerly awaiting the arrival of our Little Man.
Last Friday was my last day of work. It has definitely been funny not riding the train this week, but I am keeping busy at home. Carey and I made the decision to keep Abby in daycare through the end of this month. (Not knowing when Zachary will arrive, we thought it would be less disruptive for her to maintain her routine and it would be less stressful for me if I didn't have to worry about what I'd do if my water broke at 10 am with Carey at work in Manhattan and Abby at home with me...) So, I'm doing everything I can (energy levels permitting) around the house to get things in order before the upheaval of bringing home a newborn.
I had a check-up with my doctor on Monday, just shy of 38 weeks (which I hit today!). I gained 1 pound (total weight gain: 38 pounds), and Zachary is still head down, butt up. :-) Dr. Siegel was back in the office this week, so he reviewed all the procedures with us again, just to make sure Carey and I knew when to call the office and when to go directly to the hospital. My internal exam revealed that I am 60% effaced and 1 centimeter dilated. Just like Dr. Kramer last week, Dr. Siegel didn't want to hazard a guess as to when I might go into labor. But, he was able to calm one of my biggest fears/concerns. You may remember that my delivery with Abigail was induced. (As the doctor explained to us then, low amniotic fluid levels toward the end of pregnancy can indicate that the placenta is breaking down, so it is best to get the baby out sooner rather than later, lest any complications arise.) I was afraid that due to the fact that my labor didn't progress on it's own last time that I might be at a greater risk for going through the same thing again. Obviously, I wanted to do whatever was best for Abigail, and I feel exactly the same way about Zachary. If there is anything putting him in danger, I will do whatever is necessary to ensure that he is brought into this world and into my arms safely. But, I would love for my labor to progress on it's own this time... Dr. Siegel said that there is nothing he has seen with this pregnancy that would make him think that I would need to be induced again. We have another appointment scheduled for next Monday, so we'll see how Little Man is doing and how I'm progressing. Hopefully, the news will be good!
What else have I been up to? After an amazing sale on lean ground beef, I've been stocking our freezer with mini-meatloaves (a BIG family favorite around here - I'll share my super-easy recipe soon), lasagna, Shepard's Pie, and taco meat. I've also been doing A LOT of cleaning/sorting/organizing. It's true what they say: when your home is organized, you just feel calmer. Yesterday, I tackled our bedroom, sorting through all the piles that had, well, piled up over the past few weeks. I also sorted through our closet and drawers, refolding practically everything. I love the look of neatly folded clothes! I've been prepping Zachary's room, getting everything washed and folded. I'd forgotten how tiny baby clothes are. :-) I'm also trying to get a jump start on Abby's birthday party. Carey and I have decided it will be a small family affair this year, but we want to make sure that she feels special on her 3rd birthday, especially since Baby Brother will probably be getting a lot of mommy and daddy's attention right after we bring him home. After a chat at dinner last night, it looks like this year's theme will be Dora the Explorer. :-)
Speaking of Abby, she just keeps getting cuter. That little munchkin makes me smile each and every day. She is funny and smart and helpful and beautiful - I am so blessed to have this little girl in my life and my heart. Abby deserves her own update post, which I will do very soon, but I just had to mention her for all the joy she brings to my life these days of big bellies, sore backs, and uncomfortable humidity.
So, that's the Ng household these days. Please keep those prayers coming for a safe delivery of our little guy!
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment