Today's reflection is "With Patient Love." It talks about the fact that following Jesus is not an easy task, but "To be truly patient is to take up the cross daily as we try to act as Jesus did."
I am not good with patience. I was impatient as Carey and I waited for Abigail to arrive. I am impatient whenever Abigail is sick and I want her to be better right now. I am impatient when it seems that people I deal with at work are not listening or being cooperative. I am impatient when the Long Island Railroad is behind schedule. (Again.) I am impatient as I wait for God to bless us with another child. Yes, it seems like my life is just a whole lot of impatience at times.
There's a saying that I remember hearing when I was still in college: If you ask God for patience, He'll just make you wait. Unfortunately for me, while God knows exactly what I need, I also think that I know what I need. I pray for patience and thank God for having a plan for me, all the while hoping that God's plan for me looks a lot like my plan for me. Well, the joke is on me, isn't it? I have absolutely no idea what God has in store for me - His ways are beyond my comprehension and His plans are beyond my understanding. What I do know, however, is that God loves me and that He does have a plan for me. He does know what I need and will give it to me in His own time.
During Lent this year, I will do my best to "Let go and let God." I will challenge myself to act with patience and understanding, and I will trust Him to guide me and help me with the things that are beyond my control and understanding. As was written in today's prayer from "Called to be Holy!":
I want to follow you this day by responding to whatever happens to me with patient love. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment