Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Our Little Velociraptor

Does anyone remember the scene from the first Jurassic Park movie when Alan Grant and Ellie Sattler are trying to figure out how many of the four original Velociraptors are still roaming freely around the park? Ellie says that she's trapped one of the them in the electrical closet, unless they've somehow learned to open doors. Not ten minutes later, while Alan, Ellie, and the two children are in the control room trying to get the computer systems up and running, you see the thing that you feared the most: the Velociraptors had, indeed, learned how to open the door handles. Yikes!

Every once in a while, Abigail will do something that brings to mind this scene from Jurassic Park. We'll watch her do something that we didn't think she could do, and then we can't help but chuckle that our little Velociraptor knows way more than we give her credit for. Yesterday was another of those days. When I went to pick Abby up from daycare, I was getting her bag ready and I asked her to get her coat from her coat hook so we could go home. Instead of grabbing her coat, Abby decided that she wanted to head right for the door. So what did she do? She grabbed the door handle and began turning. Holy cow! My kid is too little to know how to open doorknobs! But, my little Velociraptor is not...

I have photographic evidence of another of Abby's Velociraptor moments. Every night when we get home, Abby gets a small snack while I prepare her dinner. Abby absolutely loves Gerber Graduates Wagon Wheels, especially the carrot flavor. I usually open the container, allow her to take two wagon wheels, and then put the container away. Last night, I neglected to put away the container. As I prepared Abby's dinner (some of daddy's yummy pot roast and potatoes), I peaked my head out into the living room to see why Abby had gotten so quiet. What did I see?

Our little Velociraptor has now figured out how to open the snack container with her teeth, thereby allowing her to sneak extra snacks!

Caught red-handed!

So sneaky...

So, after receiving my daily lesson for why I need to put everything away, I put the snack container away and sat Abby down for a delicious dinner. I am continuously amazed by His creation, and I feel blessed that Abigail not only teaches me something new every day, but she also makes me laugh and brings Carey and I such joy. :-)

2 comments:

tkowmomx4 said...

Abby: 2
Mom: 0

love that child!

Kirsten said...

It is amazing the things that they learn while we aren't even looking. It's so great to see how their little minds work and see them accomplishing new things! So cute!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin