Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another "Unfortunate First"

As you may remember from this post, I had a very hard time dealing with Abby's first sickness. As a mommy, I don't like it when I can't make my little munchkin feel better! Well, we had another unfortunate first this weekend, and I felt absolutely awful...

As you know, Abby is now mobile, crawling, pulling herself into a standing position, and just beginning to "cruise" (walking while holding onto furniture). Luckily, since the weather is now warmer, Abby can usually crawl around the house in shorts (or without bottoms!) and sock-less, making it much easier for her to crawl and stand on our hardwood floors. (We had the crazy idea that we could buy an area rug and encourage her to move around on that. Ha ha! The best laid plans - Abby will not be constrained to an area rug, so we're just careful when she starts moving around on the hardwood floors.)

On Sunday morning, Abby woke up and had her bottle, and then she was playing in her pajamas in the living room while Carey and I sat with her, having our breakfast and just relaxing as a family. Munchkin sleeps in a sleep and play, which have covered feet. Little speedy, who was less than two feet from me, took off across the floor to get one of her toys and, before I could move to steady her on the hardwood floor, she fell face-first from her crawling position onto the floor. Carey and I swooped in, and Carey picked her up and cuddled her to calm her down. She stopped crying shortly thereafter and began wriggling around in Carey's arms, meaning that she wanted to get down and play. She was fine, and it wasn't until she was playing on the bed with Carey while I finished getting ready for church that I realized that she had a swollen lip! She must have bumped her little mouth when she fell! I felt worse than awful. Thankfully, Carey is the ying to my yang, and he was able to look at the situation logically (he has the annoying tendency of doing that...). He told me that it wasn't the first time she's fallen (even if it is the first time that she's had any visible evidence of a fall) and it won't be the last time she falls. All we can do is make the house as safe as possible for her and be there on those rare occasions when she does fall, offering cuddles and kisses to make her feel better.

So, it looked bad...
...but the swelling had gone away completely by the time we went to church an hour later. And, true to form, this spill hasn't stopped little Evel Knievel from crawling all over the place and exploring the house. So, while we have our work cut out for us, making sure that our curious little girl doesn't hurt herself, I really don't mind. After all, who would mind playing with a cute little munchkin??? ;-)

(Note: the scratch on the bridge of her nose was unrelated to her tumble on Sunday. She had, somehow, broken one of her fingernails at daycare last week and scratched her nose before I had the chance to trim the nail. I know - it looks like our munchkin is falling apart...)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin