Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 20, 2009

Any advice?

This is the second morning in a row that I have woken up and been scared to death when I looked at the baby monitor. Thanks to Anne and Jon, we have a video monitor so we can keep an eye on munchkin while she's sleeping. Well, yesterday when the alarm went off, I looked at the video monitor and realized that Abby had not changed positions since I put her down in her crib the night before. This was especially alarming because Abby is normally pretty fidgety during the night. I ran into her room and, thank God, everything was fine. Little Abby was sleeping peacefully, her breathing was regular, and her body temperature was fine. (You don't even want to know the horrible scenarios that ran through my head in the 5 seconds it took me to run into Abby's room...)

Well, this morning it happened again. The alarm went off and I looked at the video monitor, and Abby was sleeping on her stomach! I ran into her room and (gently) flipped her over onto her back. Once again, after a few moments of panic, I realized that her breathing was normal and her temperature felt fine. (She must have simply rolled over at some point in the night and just kept on sleeping.)

I guess my question for all of you kind readers out there, especially those of you who have more experience with babies than I do, is should I be worried? Okay, I'm Polish, so I'm going to worry, regardless. But, should I be less worried? (I know what you're probably thinking: she worries when the baby doesn't move, and then she worries when the baby does move. Make up your mind, Kristen!) I guess I'm just looking for some words of comfort, someone to tell me that this is normal and that Abby will be fine... Any words of wisdom for a worried mommy?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 thoughts...call the doctor and see if there is anything normal about Abby stopping breathing for short periods of time so as to set off the monitor (can't imagine a situation but may as well get the expert opinion) He may want to see if she is one of those babies who sleeps so soundly that she "forgets" to breathe... or, maybe there is a problem with the monitor...check and make sure its plugged in all the way and the settings are all correct. The instructions may also have a troubleshooting section you could look at. ...I don't blame you for being frantic, I was frantic just reading your blog. (You're right: you're Polish, its in the blood!)

Karen said...

Kris - I think she will be fine. I panicked too when Sierra started rolling over, about this exact same age, actually. My sister Katie told me that her doctor told her, "once babies start rolling over, if they roll over during the night, they are safe on their belly." Abby is probably more comfortable on her tummy and now that she figured out how, she is probably thinking "score!!!" :) When I would check on Sierra at this age before I went to bed, if she was on her tummy I would gently roll her over. Now, I just leave her. I put her to bed on her back and EVERY night she is on her tummy when I check on her. If you can't get over your worries, then just call your doctor and talk to the nurse or the doctor and ask them their thoughts. I am sure they can reassure you that it is fine. Also, now that Abby is rolling and becoming more active, she is probably getting pooped-out. So at bed time, she is probably so tired, she just falls asleep and stays that way. Brian was just telling me this morning that when he checked on Sierra last night after putting her to bed and before going to bed himself, she was in the exact same spot as she was when he put her in the crib. I told him she was probably just so tired out from all the playing she did with her friend Jordan at our babysitter's house yesterday evening. :) I am sure Abby is just growing and changing and is sleeping more soundly now; especially now that she is more used to sleeping in her crib. :)

Just my two cents! :) Hope it helps calm your fears a little.
Blessings!!!

Liz said...

Hey. It's Liz (as in Larry's wife). I was bored and playing online and thought I'd look at your blog.

Once Matthew learned to roll over he never sleeps on his tummy. He also sometimes moves BACK into the spot I originally put him. I wouldn't worry.

The doctor said once he can lift his head he's okay if he rolled himself over.

(I've had the panicked run down the hall too -- especially since he is a bad sleeper normally)

Everytime he learns a new skill he either does it in his sleep or he wakes himself up to do it (now he walks in the crib!)

If you have an Angle Care monitor (and that is the alarm you are referring to -- not your alarm clock) you may find she moves too much now for it. Everyone I asked to review it said it went off a lot once their baby started to try to push to hands and knees.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen,
I want to second what some of the others have said in that she should be able to roll herself back over or shift her head to breathe even when she's on her tummy so its no longer a problem now. As for staying in the exact same position, count yourself lucky that she stays mobile for now. It'll be more of a scare when you look one morning and they're not in the crib at all. Luke managed to just climb out himself one morning when he was around 1 or 2 yrs and was playing on the floor when we went to his room one morning. So for now, enjoy the fact that she's not as mobile yet. LOL. But do start lowering the mattress and removing any bumpers and things that she can use to climb up and over with soon. They'll surprise you with how fast they can do more and more now.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis,

Try not to worry, since you started her on rice and thicker food, she probably has a full stomach and sleeping more soundly.
That was what happened with Sofia even with the acid reflux. Just as a side note, perhaps check or change the batteries on the monitor just to make sure it is operating at peak efficiency. Otherwise, hang in there...you will be more comfortable with it.

Bart

Bart

Blog Widget by LinkWithin