Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

World Breastfeeding Week!

Last night, Carey and I attended our breastfeeding class at Huntington Hospital. The hospital encourages husbands/partners/coaches to attend this class, so they know about the benefits and challenges of breastfeeding and can offer support and encouragement to nursing mothers. I am very lucky that Carey didn't bat an eyelash when I asked him to come with me. :-)

The class was led by the hospital's lactation consultant and included a PowerPoint presentation and short video. We were also given baby dolls with which to practice proper positioning. (The nurse even gave Carey and I the Asian baby doll to practice with!)

Interestingly enough, the lactation consultant mentioned that this week (August 1st - 7th) is World Breastfeeding Week. Sponsored by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action and supported by organizations such as La Leche League, the World Health Organization, and the International Lactation Consultant Association, World Breastfeeding Week "calls for greater support for mothers in achieving the gold standard of infant feeding: breastfeeding exclusively for six months, and providing appropriate complementary foods with continued breastfeeding for up to two years or beyond." I realize that breastfeeding is not the right choice for every parent and child, but I feel very strongly that this is something that I would like to try with Abigail. I am hoping, with the help of classes (like the one we attended last night), literature, support groups, understanding family and friends, and LOTS and LOTS of practice and hard work, that breastfeeding will work for our family. As the lactation consultant said last night, it is "absolutely awesome" that your body can produce exactly what your baby needs to survive and thrive. Awesome indeed!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin