The next type of diaper that I’d like to review is pocket
diapers. These diapers are very similar to disposables, so we’ve found them a
great option for the times when someone else is watching Zachary. Once the pockets
are stuffed with the liner(s), they go on just like a disposable. While I
didn’t want my entire stash of diapers to be pocket diapers, I did want a few
in the rotation. I ordered several different types of pocket diapers and
received two other types free with my purchases, so I had a good variety of
pocket diapers to work with. Zachary has sported the following brands on his
adorable little bum: FuzziBunz Perfect Size, FuzziBunz Elite One Size, Happy
Heineys, bumGenius, and OhKaty pocket diapers.
I would have to say that my favorite pocket diapers are
bumGenius 4.0 One Size Stay-Dry Cloth Diapers.
These diapers are one size, with
snaps on the front to adjust the rise. The diaper comes with two cloth inserts,
the larger of which has snaps to adjust it to small and medium sizes. I often
use both inserts for overnight with no leakage issues. One feature that I like
on the bumGenius is that there is a flap over the pocket opening.
Most other
pocket diapers, including FuzziBunz and Happy Heineys in my stash, have an
opening along the back of the diaper and the fleece layer of the pocket diaper
just sits across the back opening. While this does make stuffing the diaper
easy, the elastic along the back can come into contact with your baby if the
fleece does not sit across it properly. The pocket cover in the bumGenius
diaper removes this guesswork. I’ve also found that our bumGenius diapers are
the easiest pocket diapers to stuff. Because the inside of the pocket diapers
is waterproof to prevent leaks, it can sometimes be difficult to slide
liners/boosters into the diaper. Our bumGenius diapers are incredibly easy to
stuff and I find the liners/boosters slide into this diaper easily. Aside from
this pocket opening, the bumGenius diapers fit Zachary well without being too
bulky and we have had zero leaks, both through daytime and nighttime use.
(Note: for daytime diapering, I use one insert, but for nighttime, I use both
inserts.)
Two other brands of pocket diapers in my stash are FuzziBunz
Perfect Size Diapers and Happy Heineys One Size Diapers. I ordered FuzziBunz
Perfect Size, rather than one size – Zach is size Medium right now.
This size will fit Zachary through 30 pounds.
FuzziBunz Perfect Size diapers come with one liner since the diapers are
fitted. (One size diapers usually come with two inserts of varying sizes since
the diapers are made to fit babies from newborn through toddler sizes.) The
diapers are fairly easy to stuff, fit Zachary well, and are not overly bulky. I
also like that the FuzziBunz Perfect Size diapers don’t have snaps that must be
closed to adjust the rise.
Happy Heineys are the one type of pocket diaper that
I purchased in both hook-and-loop and snap closure.
Similar to the FuzziBunz,
the Happy Heineys diapers are easy to stuff and not overly bulky. However,
these diapers came with two inserts, so I can double-stuff them. My one issue
with Happy Heineys diapers, and I admit that it is a small one, is that their
inserts are not labeled. Most other brands of pocket diapers labels their
inserts, so it’s easy to match up and stuff the diapers when they come out of
the wash. Happy Heineys are one of the only inserts that are not labeled, so it’s
easy enough to match the inserts with the correct diaper. But, it’s a small
thing that I just don’t understand leaving off the insert…
With the three brands of diapers that I ordered, I received
several free one-size pocket diapers. I received two FuzziBunz One Size Elite
Pocket Diapers and an OhKaty Pocket Diaper. Both diapers came with two inserts.
However, I am not a huge fan of either one.
The FuzziBunz Elite is probably the
trimmest fitting diaper in my stash, but there is elastic along the back and
legs, with instructions for measuring your baby and adjusting the elastic to
fit these measures. (Yes, you heard right. Instructions. Fairly detailed
instructions, to be honest…) Since Zach is not real big into sitting still so I
can measure his waist and legs, I had to guess and we had a leak the first time
he wore it. (Given, I did not follow the instructions, so the leak was probably
my fault.) I adjusted the elastic and we have had several leak-free wearings.
While the diaper is very trim, it also seems very small. I’m honestly not sure
how this diaper would fit a 30+ pound child.
The other free diaper I received was an OhKaty Pocket
Diaper. I have to say that I’m not a fan of this brand of diaper.
While a one
size diaper, Zach is already wearing it at the largest rise setting, so I’m not sure
how this will fit him until he’s 35 pounds… My other issue is the location of
the pocket opening. While every other pocket diaper I’ve ever seen has the pocket
in the back, the OhKaty diaper has the pocket in the front. I’m putting this
diaper on my son. You know, a boy, with boy parts, which tend to wet a diaper
much closer to the front than the middle… While reaching into a pocket diaper
to pull out a wet liner is not the highlight of my day, I don’t usually mind
since Zach very rarely, if ever, wets a liner all the way from front to back,
so I’m usually grabbing a dry liner. With the OhKaty diaper, I’m sticking my
hand right into the wettest part of Zach’s diaper and grabbing for the wettest
part of the liner. Obviously not engineered with a boy in mind… So, the OhKaty
diaper is another diaper that I keep towards the back of my stash, in the event
that I’ve run out of everything else…
As I mentioned at the beginning of today’s post, I wanted a
few pocket diapers in my stash. I always stuff the diapers after they’re dry,
before I put them with Zach’s changing table. So, these diapers are just as
easy to use as a disposable – great for those times when someone else is
watching Zach. I also like to use them at naptimes,
since the pocket keeps the liner firmly in place. They have a soft fleece layer
that touches your baby’s bottom, and even those brands that must be line-dried
dry fairly quickly. (I wash diapers after Zach goes to bed, and by the time I
wake up the next morning, all the pocket diapers are dry.) They’re also a great
back-up for overnight if all our nighttime diapers are dirty. I wouldn’t want
every diaper in my stash to be pocket diapers because I do feel it’s a bit of a
waste that they can only be used once, and then they must be washed. I’ve
noticed on days when most of my diaper load consists of pocket diapers, I have
to wash the load on a larger setting. But overall, pocket diapers are a good
addition to our diaper system.
Please join us tomorrow on All Things Ng for a discussion of
All-in-Two and Hybrid diapers!
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment