Each year, Ash Wednesday ushers in the season of Lent, a time to prepare for the suffering, death, and resurrection of our Savior. Each year, we are given this season of 40 days to fast and reflect. Baby Ng has made fasting a non-option, so I really want to make sure that I spend the season of Lent reflecting. Reflecting on my relationship with God. Reflecting on my relationship with my family. And reflecting on the ways I have changed over the past years.
When I attended the Relevant Conference in 2010, a statement made by one of the speakers at a break-out session stuck with me, and it's something that I still think of today. Kimba, of A Soft Place to Land, said that when God chooses to prune, He doesn't always take the ugly parts. Sometimes, He prunes the beautiful parts so that something even more beautiful can grow in its place. So, do I think I'm a bad mom? No. Do I think I'm a bad wife? No. Do I think I am failing in my role as a woman? No. But, that doesn't mean that God doesn't intend to do some pruning in those areas. Because, while I may be a good mom, perhaps God is calling me to be a great mom. And while I consider myself a good wife and helpmate to Carey, perhaps God is calling me to be better in certain areas of that relationship. So, with that in mind, there are a few books that I have decided to read during Lent, to help me reflect and grow and aid God in His pruning efforts.
My relationship with Him: the Bible.
I'll be focusing on the Gospels during Lent, concentrating on the teachings of Jesus and how I am called to live those teachings in my life. During the Easter season, I'll move on to the other New Testament books to see how the disciples were affected by Jesus' death and resurrection and how they lived his teachings.
My relationship with Carey: The Power of a Praying Wife, by Stormie Omartian.
The focus of this book is how, as a wife, I can pray for my husband and his needs, and how this type of prayer can powerfully, and positively, impact your marriage.
My relationship with Abby: The Mission of Motherhood, by Sally Clarkson.
Sally was a keynote speaker at last year's Relevant Conference. She was an amazing speaker, and I can only imagine that her book on the importance of motherhood will be just as amazing and inspiring.
My personal reflection: 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue, by Deborah Smith Pegues.
Really, the title says it all. I need to learn to be much more careful with the words that come out of my mouth. Period.
So, these are the books that I'll be concentrating on during my Lenten pruning journey. How will you be observing Lent this year?
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment