Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Toddler Essentials

Once again, it's Mother's Day. A wonderful day when we all give special thanks to the mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, godmothers and friends in our lives - to all the amazing women who have loved us, taught us, guided us, and helped us become the best we could be. So to all the wonderful women in my life - thank you. Thank you for loving me and listening to me and advising me and supporting me. I know that I am a "work in progress," but there's no way that I would be at this point in my journey without you.


At this time last year, I posted a list of "Baby Essentials" - those things that I needed and found extremely useful during the first 8 months of Abigail's life. Now that my little munchkin is closing in on 20 months, I thought that perhaps I could post an updated list of "Toddler Essentials," those things that we've found useful now that Abby is mobile and curious.

(Once again, I do have to note that these are just my thoughts on important toddler items. I'm not saying that every item on this list is right for every child, and I'm not being paid to endorse these products. (If only...) Every mommy (and daddy) needs to decide what is best for their own little one!)

Number 10: Up & Up (Target-brand) A&D ointment
This was Number 10 on last year's Baby Essentials list, and it remains as necessary for us today as it was back then. It keeps Abby's little doopka diaper-rash free, is easier to squeeze out of the tube than name-brand A&D, and is usually 50% cheaper than the name brand stuff. Nuff said.

Number 9: Aveeno Baby Soothing Bath Treatment
Much as we try to prevent diaper rash around here, occasionally it does happen (especially after a course of antibiotics). My poor little munchkin is a very unhappy camper until her little tush clears up - enter Aveeno Baby Soothing Bath Treatment. These packets are filled with 100% natural, colloidal oatmeal-based powder that is meant to soothe irritated skin, whether from eczema or diaper rash or chicken pox. It does turn the bathwater a dingy grey color, but if you can get past that, it really helps soothe tender little tushies.

Number 8: Safety 1st Railnet
We have a metal banister in our living room. It looks nice, but as Abby has gotten older, we've had to shoo her away from it, simply because we don't want her head stuck in the bars and we don't want toys raining down from above. The solution? Safety 1st's Railnet. I know, I know, it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but it is a strong, white mesh netting that keeps little heads and arms and legs out of the gaps in the banister and makes it more difficult for Abby to throw/drop toys over the edge. So, Carey and I decided that we would put up with the not-so-stylish mesh netting in order to ensure that our little daredevil is out of harm's way.

Number 7: Munchkin Snack Catcher
This is a great cup for snacks like Goldfish crackers and Cheerios. At first, Abby couldn't quite get the hang of grabbing the snacks from the rubber lid. But, once she got the hang of it, she loved it! It makes snacking in the car, on the go, and in the flower bed checking out mommy's flowers so much neater.

Number 6: Skip*Hop Pronto Changing Wallet
Don't get me wrong - I love me a nice, big diaper bag. But, there are times when that nice, big diaper bag can just be a pain in the rear. Enter the Skip*Hop Pronto Changing Wallet. Now that we're out and about with Abby more often, we've found this to be a great tool! It includes a pocket for diapers, a holder for wipes, and a changing pad that folds out (and can be unzipped and detached from the rest of the wallet), all in one neat package. So, for those times when you're not sure how to balance an entire diaper bag and you certainly don't want to put it on the floor in the public restroom (yuck...), grab this convenient little wallet and get everything you need all in one hand!

Number 5: Pretty much anything in The First Years Take and Toss line
Ever feel bad when you lose a sippy cup or baby spoon? I absolutely love the Take and Toss line by The First Years. This line is reusable, but inexpensive, so you don't feel too bad if you misplace a piece or if your kiddo wears it out. About 4 months ago, we started to transition Abigail from sippy cups to cups with lids and straws. Rather than buy something that was expensive (especially since we didn't know how she'd react), we bought a five-pack of Straw Cups. They're dishwasher safe (even the straws!), BPA-free, and, when they reach the end of their life, recyclable. Thankfully, Abby loves them! And, while she does chew on the straws sometimes and has learned how to take the straw out of the lid, we're glad that she's made the switch from sippy cups and plan to use these until she's ready for a big girl (e.g. lidless) cup. (Tip: we have a dishwasher basket that we use to hold the lids for Abby's cups. The basket has a straw holder that holds straws upright, to ensure thorough cleaning. If you don't wash your straws upright in the dishwasher, I would suggest using a pipe cleaner to clean the straws.)

Number 4: Summer Infant Tiny Diner Placemat
What a life saver! This place mat rolls up for easy storage in a diaper bag, has suction cups so it sticks to the table, and wipes off easily. Certain foods, like tomato sauce, do tend to leave stains on the place mat. But, when I think of how dirty the tables might be when we eat out, I would much rather Abby eat off a place mat with a small stain that I know is indeed clean!

Number 3: Boppy Protect Me Shopping Cart Cover
I'm not a super germophob, but I do try to keep Abby away from the nastier stuff that we encounter. To me, shopping carts fall into that "nasty, but avoidable" category. Enter the Boppy Protect Me Shopping Cart Cover. It covers every part of the cart that Abby could possibly get her hands on, and it's machine washable, so if she does get it messy, we just toss it in the washing machine and we're ready to go again. Another plus: it can also fit over restaurant high chairs. (We registered for a separate high chair cover before Abby was born, but that one only fit over the old-fashioned wooden high chairs. Many restaurants are doing away with those wooden high chairs in favor of plastic, so our cover wouldn't fit many of the high chairs that we encountered. Thankfully, the Boppy cover fits everything!)

Number 2: Fisher-Price Healthy Care Booster Seat
Carey and I decided before Abby was born that we didn't want a high chair due to the amount of space that they take up. Instead, we decided to purchase a booster chair, which could be attached right to one of our dining room chairs. The biggest plus of this specific booster chair: the tray is removable and dishwasher safe. So, if Abigail makes a mess with ketchup or pasta sauce, we can toss the tray in the dishwasher. What a lifesaver!

Number 1: Mabel's Labels
I love these. We purchased the Skinny Minis, and I swear that I have labeled everything that belongs to Abigail that leaves this house. (Okay, maybe not everything, but most things.) The labels are dishwasher safe. They're bright and cheery. They stay stuck wherever you stick them. I love them. Whether your kid goes to daycare or is simply around other kids at play dates or church, Mabel's Labels help you (and all other mommies and daddies) know which cup, bowl, spoon, etc. belongs to your child. Did I mention that I love these?

So, once again, in celebration of Mother's Day, just a few of the items that we've found particularly useful with Abigail over the past year. Any suggestions as we approach the next year of our little munchkin's life???

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow. I am so behind on blog reading, seriously, it is unreal. I think my reader has over 260 unread posts in it. Yikes! Anyway, just wanted to say "Happy Mother's Day!" I hope your day was wonderful. You are such a great, wonderful, hard-working mommy. You deserve many blessings in this world.
Hope your little girl and sweet hubby treated you great on your special day. Lots of love to you! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin