Yesterday was the first day of Advent. This marks the start of a new year in the church calendar. So, Happy New (Liturgical) Year!
I have to admit: sometimes Advent just passes me by. I get caught up in other preparations: decorating my home, purchasing gifts, baking, planning family trips. I have already begun enjoying holiday films on ABC Family, Lifetime, and the Hallmark Channel. And yet, how much more important is it to prepare for the birth of our Savior?
Last night, after Abigail fell asleep, Carey was working on the computer, so I went downstairs to watch TV and do some ironing. There was a movie on the Hallmark Channel called "Ebbie," a modern take on A Christmas Carol, with Susan Lucci as the protagonist, a heartless marketing executive. At one point, Jake (the Marley character) tells Ebbie: "You know the price of everything and the value of nothing." Wow. How often does this phrase explain my Advent? I handle the details without seeing the big picture. I prepare my family physically, without preparing them (and myself) spiritually.
With the start of the new liturgical year, I'm going to concentrate on the value of things, rather than the price of things. I'm going to make preparing my heart and my home for the birth of our Lord my priority. Carey and I will be an example to Abigail, teaching her that Jesus is the reason why we celebrate Christmas. I will strive to bring the peace and joy of this season into each day of Advent, whether I am at work, at home, or with family and friends. I will refuse to get caught up in the busy-ness of Christmas, and anything that I do relating to the holiday will be done to glorify Him.
So, when you find yourself caught up in the whirlwind that is Christmas, maybe you should remind yourself that the value of things is infinitely more important than the price of things. It will be a road that we'll walk together, as we prepare to celebrate the coming of our Lord. Happy Advent!
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kris that is a wonderful quote and way of looking at things. What dates will you be upstate for Christmas? I think we may just miss the Ngs, which is very sad news. Give Abagail a big hug for me!
Post a Comment