Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Baby Essentials

So, it's Mother's Day. My first Mother's Day as, well, a mother. Last year at this time, Abigail was still inside me, moving and making herself known. She brought smiles to us then, and she continues to do so now. I am blessed to be Abigail's mommy. On this day, I'd also like to wish a very Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies out there. You comfort, you love, and you teach. Now that I'm a member of the club, I know how fortunate I am to be surrounded by women who are role models, mentors, and friends on this journey.


In the spirit of Mother's Day, I thought I'd do something of a Top 10 List. Knowing that there are (at least a few) mothers who read this blog, as well as some "mommies-to-be" and folks who babysit/know/love kids, I thought I'd share with you the 10 things that I have found to be "essential" during the last 8 months. I'm sure there are more (and I'd love to hear from you if you have any suggestions!), but these are ten things that make my life much easier! All these items are available at pretty much any store that sells baby items. I've noted any exceptions to that rule.

(Please note: These are just my thoughts on important baby items. I'm not saying that every item on this list is right for every baby, and I'm not being paid to endorse these products. (If only...) Every mommy (and daddy) needs to decide what is best for their own little one!)


Number 10: Target-brand A&D ointment (Available at Target. Duh.)
This stuff is great. It keeps Abby's tush soft and diaper-rash free, and it smells great. I actually prefer the Target brand, as opposed to the name brand. Name brand A&D can be difficult to squeeze out of the tube, and it's way more expensive that it should be. The Target brand has all the benefits of the name brand stuff, but it's easier to use and costs about 50% less. (I couldn't find a link on the Target website, but this stuff is available in-store where all the diapering supplies are found.)

Number 9: Johnson's Safety Swabs
I was nervous, almost petrified, by the idea of having to clean Abby's ears. I know that it's very important to keep her ears clean, but I was so afraid that I'd push that little q-tip in too far and harm her ears and possibly her hearing. Enter Johnson's Safety Swabs. The Ear Safe Bulb® allows you to clean your little munchkin's ears without worrying that you'll stick the swab in too far: the bulb prevents the swab from entering the ear canal. Ever since we started using these after Abby's baths, her pediatricians have actually commented that her ears are nice and clean when we're there for check-ups. Score one for mommy!

Number 8: Lubriderm Fragrance-Free Lotion (I pick it up at Wal-Mart, but it's available pretty much anywhere)
Did you know that those wonderfully-scented baby lotions can actually irritate a newborn's skin? (I know, I know. One more thing to worry about...) Our pediatrician, as well as the doctors at the hospital when Abby was born, suggested that for the first 3-4 months, we use something fragrance- and dye-free, lest we upset Abby's delicate skin. So, we picked up some Lubriderm Fragrance-Free lotion, and it works great! Abby had slightly dry skin after she was born, and rubbing just a tiny amount of Lubriderm on her back and legs really helped. It's also great for the winter months, when little cheeks get red and irritated from the cold air outside and indoor heating systems. Of course, there's no need to throw away those scented lotions that you received at your baby shower. Save them and use them once the little munchkin gets a bit older. (We started using Baby Magic Baby Lotion once Abby turned 6 months, and she's had no problem with it. Plus, it makes her smell delicious!!)

Number 7: Playtex Drop-Ins Bottle Liners (Check into store brands, which are usually 25-40% cheaper and work just as well)
Okay, so this "must have" only applies to those of you who are actually using bottles. As you may or may not remember, Abby had a tough time with acid reflux when she was first born, and these problems where compounded by her milk protein allergy. Well, we were just using some cute little plastic bottles that I'd picked up at Babies R Us. My sister-in-law's mother, Linda (who is like another grandma to Abby), suggested that we try the Drop-In system. The liners are disposable, which means that you don't need to sterilize bottles after each feeding, and the air can be pushed out of the liners, meaning less air gets into that little belly. Two other HUGE positives in my book: the liners are (and have always been)BPA-free and the liners are actually recyclable (coded #4)! Because the liners collapse and expand, they've grown with Abby from her small 2 ounce bottles to her current 6 ounce bottles. And did I mention that they're recyclable?

Number 6: pacifier straps (Selections vary by store, but there are some really cute patterns available at Target and Wal-Mart.)
Hear me out on this one: I know that a lot of mommies out there don't use pacifiers, so you're thinking: Why the heck do I need pacifier clips? Let me tell you: teething rings roll and bounce, usually to the dustiest, dirtiest, most disgusting place in the immediate vicinity. (We found this out at church, where Abby's teething rings tended to end up under the pews...) Pacifier straps not only keep your baby's pacifier attached to her little self, they can be used on teething rings, rattles, etc. (The MAM version, pictured, has a ring specially designed to hold MAM pacifiers. But, that ring comes off so the strap can be used with other pacifiers by way of Velcro closure.) Now, whenever we're going out, we bring along several teething rings and a few extra pacifier straps. The result: clean teething rings and a happy baby.

Number 5: a humidifier (Babies R Us has a great selection and parent reviews. I suggest that you start there, pick a model you like based on the information and reviews, and then shop around to see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere)
As you may remember, Abby had croup earlier this year. That barking cough was awful to hear (and I can't imagine it was too pleasant for Abby, either!). Abby's pediatrician suggested that we use a warm-mist humidifier in Abby's room to help loosen her secretions while she slept. We were actually already using her humidifier, so we turned it up and ran it 24/7. I truly believe that it helps. The model that we use, the Vicks Germ Free Humidifier, has worked really well ever since Abby was born. It is a bit of a pain to clean, but it's easy to fill, runs almost silently, and makes a noticeable difference in Abigail's room. We won't be using it in the summer, since the outdoor humidity is high enough, but for the wintertime, especially when kids are prone to stuffy noses and colds, I highly recommend a humidifier. (Check with your pediatrician as to whether a warm-mist or cool-mist humidifier is best for your little one.)

Number 4: Sleep and Play Outfits (I love, love, LOVE the selection at Target, especially their Circo brand.)
Let's face it: after multiple diaper changes per day, who wants to deal with a super-intricate outfit that requires you to fasten snaps, buttons, zippers, and/or bows in weird places. (Not that these outfits aren't adorable. Abby has several beautiful outfits that are for church and special occasions.) But, for everyday wear, I love the one-piece sleep and play outfits (also referred to as SNPs). With easy access to the bum for quicker diaper changes and all cotton, tag-less versions for comfort, I love these outfits. Carter's and Gerber sell them in multi-packs, and Target's Circo brand usually has lots of cute outfits on sale. The picture here is of one of my recent purchases. Abby looks so cute in polka dots! :-)

Number 3: plastic-backed bibs (I love the cute designs available at Babies R Us)
Take it from a woman who knows: plastic-backed bibs (and completely plastic bibs once your baby is older) are the way to go. Abby had all sorts of spit-up issues in her second and third months, and we were going through cotton bibs like they were going out of style. Now don't get me wrong: some of those all-cotton bibs are the cutest darn things, and there are times when wearing them is fine. But, if you have a spitter, or a drooler, or a messy eater, trust me: plastic backed is the way to go. These bibs, also known as "drool bibs," usually cost more, but they are absolutely, totally, 100% worth it. If your kiddo soaks through a cotton bib, you have to change their entire outfit (would you want to sit around in a wet shirt?), but no matter how much drool you're dealing with, a plastic-backed bib will keep your little drooler nice and dry. (At least until her drool runneth over onto her pants...)

Number 2: lap pads (I love the Carter's brand, but those can be hard to find in stores. They are available online through Amazon.com and albeebaby.com)
These things are great. What can't you use them for??? Personally, I love them on the changing table. We have super cute, super soft covers for Abby's changing pad, and it always seems like we'll just put a new cover on when a little #1 or #2 escapes her diaper and we have to change the entire cover. (Just like it never fails that a bird will poop on your car as soon as you wash it, Abby never fails to pee on the changing table as soon as we put on a clean cover!) Now we put one of these water-proof pads under Abby's tush when we change her diaper, that way any "escapes" are caught on the lap pad, which we can replace easily, instead of having to replace the entire changing pad cover. The Carter's brand (pictured) hold up really well in the wash. (I wash them in hot water to make sure that I get any germs out and, while the butterflies have faded a little, the pads themselves are holding up really well to the repeated washings.) Babies R Us also has plain white lap pads that are larger than the Carter's brand. They have started to pill a little bit, but they too are holding up fairly well through repeated washings.

Number 1: a Boppy!
I love our Boppy! This pillow is amazing. I saw an ad in American Baby yesterday, and it said that the Boppy can be used as a breastfeeding pillow, a bottle-feeding pillow, a tummy-time support, a head support to prop up an infant, and a support for when baby starts to sit up. We have used our Boppy for all of these! It's so versatile, and now you can buy extra covers, so your Boppy is always ready to go. We use it less now that Abby is mobile, but I don't think a day went by during the first 6 months of her life when we didn't use her Boppy. Honestly, if there is one thing on this list that I think every new mother needs, this is the item!

Well, I hope you found this list helpful. The thoughts of one mom with one little munchkin. Who knows, if we're blessed with additional kids somewhere down the road, I might find a brand new top 10! Feel free to leave a comment with any items that you find indispensable, especially if your little one is older than Abby. (I'm always looking for ideas to keep up with Abby as she grows up!!)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin