The day that I thought would never arrive is finally here: Abby's first day of daycare. I remember, before she was born, Carey and I planning out our paid leave from work, and the idea that Abby wouldn't have to go to daycare until she was six months old just seemed like it was so far away! Now that it's arrived, I have to admit that I'm just walking around a bit numb today.
Carey and I dropped Abby off at Tutor Time this morning around 7:45 am. Carey had to catch his train, but I stuck around to speak with Miss Natalie and Miss Norma, who will be caring for Abby in the Shrimp Room. They are both wonderful women, and I can tell, just from the 45 minutes I spent with them this morning watching them interact with all the little ones as they arrived, that they are kind, caring women who love children.** (Natalie was also prepared with tissues when I started crying, so she's good with new moms, too!) Abby was sitting in a Bumbo playing with a Sesame Street activity center when I left. Natalie called around 10 am to let me know that Abby had a good morning playing with the other kids and went down for a nap around 9:30 am. I'll be heading over to check on Abby in a few minutes, but it was so wonderful that Natalie called me, especially knowing how upset I was when I left Abby there this morning.
I'm just trying to remember the words of wisdom that Bart and Melissa have told me time and again: it is harder for a parent to drop of their child than it is for the child to be dropped off. While I cried the whole way home, Abby was having a great time playing with the other children. She's going to meet other babies her age and she'll have the opportunity to explore new things.
Please, keep little Abby (and her mommy and daddy) in your prayers as we all adjust to this new experience called "daycare"!
** Note: I was there for 45 minutes this morning, but Carey and I were exhaustive (if not neurotic) in our research into Abby's daycare. Once we chose Tutor Time, we spent a good deal of time there, meeting the people who will be caring for Abby, checking out their facilities, and giving Abby time to get comfortable with her new hang-out. I probably would have spent the entire day there, if I could, but I knew I needed to leave to give Abby a chance to explore things on her own.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Praying for all of you and Abby's new "hang-out." My heart ached for you as I read this post. The thought of having to leave Sierra in the care of someone else during the fall semester while I am student-teaching is something I cry about already and something that overwhelms me. You are so strong. You give me strength. :)
Post a Comment