Last May, I could not believe that my daughter was old enough for us to even be considering what preschool she should attend. Last September, I could not believe that I was dropping her off for her first day of preschool. And last Friday, I could not believe that my daughter, my baby girl, was old enough to be graduating from preschool. (As I joked with Carey: I couldn't believe that she was old enough for preschool, and now I'm being told she's too old for preschool!)
My disbelief aside, on Friday we celebrated Abigail's graduation from preschool. We were incredibly fortunate that Abby's name was chosen in our district's Universal Pre-K lottery. (Basically, a state-funded program that allows school districts to offer a certain number of free-of-charge slots to their preschool programs. Any family can apply for the program. In our district, there were 24 spots for approximately 60 applicants.) Of the three schools participating in the program, we choose
Island Kids. We'd heard great things about the school, both from acquaintances and our brother- and sister-in-law, who had sent our niece there. The UPK program covered the cost of afternoon class (1:00 - 3:30 pm) five days a week.
To say that I was a proud mama would be a huge understatement. I have seen Abby's progress throughout the year, both in academics (handwriting, math, even science) and socially (who knew that navigating the waters of 4-year-old social interactions would be so hard?). And I was so proud of my girl for all her effort and hard work.
 |
All ready for graduation.
(Zachy just had to be in the photo, too!) |
 |
| My beautiful graduate! |
 |
Each child made a "paper copy" of themselves.
Abby wanted pigtails and her two favorite colors: pink and purple! |
 |
| Abby's photo on the bulletin board outside the auditorium. |
 |
| My beautiful graduate processing into the auditorium. |
 |
Abigail after receiving her graduation certificate.
She even learned how to curtsy - it was adorable! |
 |
Abby and Zachy after graduation.
(Poor Zachy just wanted to get outside after the hour-long ceremony...) |
 |
| My sweet girl! |
 |
| Enjoying the sunny day with a sunny smile! |
 |
| Abigail with her teacher, Miss Jennie. |
 |
| Abigail with her other teacher, Miss Dana. |
It was a wonderful day to end a wonderful year. Both of Abigail's teachers told us how sweet she is and how smart she is. As a mother, that's wonderful to hear. But even more important is the fact that Abby loved going to school. She had fun and learned so much and made lots of friends. I truly believe that Abby's year at Island Kids laid a strong foundation for her love of learning, and I cannot wait to see what elementary school holds for her in the fall. (Wait a minute! Did I just say "elementary school"?! When did my baby get old enough for kindergarten?! I need to sit down...)
1 comment:
Love these photos! And those kids!!
Post a Comment